Image for post
Image for post
Daytalking, Nightwalking, Stargazing. You know the drill.

Oh, what a difference four days can make. It would’ve been hard to believe that on Monday.

The entire week became one gloopy shapeshifter — a shitty spring monster that strangely turned docile with each passing day.

Sunday was Mother’s Day which, of course, everything that could go wrong, did. It was an odd week in a month I knew would be challenging: the 10th anniversary of my mother’s death, and worries about my own future and that of friends and family, who were having similar losses. I wanted to write about the pain I was feeling, but it felt too raw by Sunday night. There was no one to talk to about it.

So I woke up Monday morning feeling confused and overtired. A psychic burr had gotten under my skin, rubbing every nerve end raw with every movement I tried to make. I couldn’t concentrate.

“Uh-oh,” I thought. “This is how my old depressive episodes begin.”

So I wisely left work early and went home to sleep for three hours. After a morning and early afternoon of nausea and general “pissed-off-ness,” I realized I had an appetite (which is a positive sign), so grabbed a late lunch near The Old Girl — what I call “Lilac Alley.”

The Old Girl greets you on May 17, 2018.

I should pay her a visit, I thought, taking a last bite and eyeing the sky.

But it threatened rain that day, so I decided the timing wasn’t right and I’d see her before the lilacs lost their bloom in the St. Paul alley where she lives. It was a tough decision since I really needed to see her.

I needed her advice.

The suffering only got worse on Tuesday, when I promised all my Medium readers I’d be publishing a new post (only adding a new layer of shame). I struggled through the day and even treated myself to early bed.

“Sleep,” I thought. “Eat well, drink plenty of water, and sleep. You can stave it off.”

Then, at 1:30 a.m., I awoke from a nightmare.

In the dream, I was walking with a friend (no one I can specifically recall) in the parks that line the Mississippi River Road between Minneapolis and St. Paul.

In the distance a disheveled woman in a wheelchair beckoned to us. “Hey you guys! Wanna see some gold?” she yelled.

I tapped my friend on the shoulder. “No,” I said. “Let’s keep going.”

“What if she really needs our help?” he said.

Image for post
Image for post
“Hey you guys wanna see some gold?” Artwork courtesy of Angelo Brewer.

We reluctantly went over to the woman, who led us to a pile of brambles and a tree that had fallen in a storm.

And there it was — at our feet was a decomposing body, facedown, still in street clothes, skeleton intact but the lower half had been eaten away by creatures that must’ve scrambled up from a nearby pond. The smell was horrific; the sight disgusting.

I tried to remember upon awakening how the woman in the wheelchair reacted to our surprise. But dreams are funny that way. They’re selective, even now in the telling.

But I do remember this: We couldn’t look away. There was a dead body.

Wednesday I learned a journalist acquaintance had died. I reacted to the news on social media somewhat haphazardly, with assumptions I was in no position to make. I got called out for that and responded, well… a tad pointedly. Then I realized I wouldn’t have had that reaction had I been thinking more clearly. I was only three days into what seemed like a classic onset to a depressive episode, but I shouldn’t have been acting like everything was “just okay.”

I failed again, because of thinking.

So last night, Thursday, the weather improved and I went to see The Old Girl. I needed less thoughts, more tree-hugging.

She is tall and strong and lets you know that she IS as she will be. This is amazing stuff to be near.

When I approached her, familiarly patting her massive old trunk, I thought I could sense her reaction. I thought she said: “Oh, you. It’s been awhile. You … just came from a funeral home. These things happen. I know. I see it all the time.”

I wasn’t finding her attitude very comforting.

But maybe that was the point.

Rather than be defensive and instantly walk away, I just hung out with her for a while. I resisted the urge to ask questions or have her prognosticate. I was there to listen.

I noticed green shoots peeking out from her aged bark. It was good to see her standing tall and ready to weather a new season, to witness her leaves glinting in the May sunlight.

So, I left Lilac Alley.

Image for post
Image for post
The lilacs in bloom, May 17, 2018. The Old Girl sees them every day. (Photo Completely in the Dark.)

By this morning, I was feeling much lighter and promised myself to be gentler to others (and myself). It’s not an easy thing to do.

Sometimes, I guess, you just have to wait it out a couple days.

Writer, editor, and media maker. Blogs at Completely in the Dark ( and lives in Minneapolis, MN. I notice things.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store